Current:Home > MarketsBuckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl' -Wealth Evolution Experts
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 03:18:58
LONDON - Buckingham Palace said Friday it would investigate staff working for Britain's royal family following an after-party, which the Sun reported ended in a "punch-up" and "bar brawl."
Workers attended an early evening reception at Buckingham Palace before heading to a nearby bar to carry on the celebrations.
But their partying got out of hand, and police were called "after glasses were hurled and punches thrown," the Sun said.
Buckingham Palace said on Friday that palace officials were aware of an incident which had taken place outside the workplace following a reception at the official London residence of King Charles.
"While this was an informal social gathering, not an official Palace Christmas party, the facts will be fully investigated, with a robust disciplinary process followed in relation to individual staff and appropriate action taken," Buckingham Palace said in a statement.
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Rough year for royals
News of the investigation comes against the backdrop of a tumultuous year for the royal family marked by illness and strained relations with Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan, who now reside in America.
Princess Kate announced earlier this year that she had been diagnosed with cancer, following a months-long public (and tabloid) fever about her whereabouts. After undergoing a course of preventative chemotherapy, the princess returned to royal duties, helping to share the workload with King Charles, who revealed his own cancer diagnosis in February, and Queen Camilla, who has been intermittently ill.
Princess Kate offers rare commenton 'challenging' year at Christmas concert
Meanwhile, across the pond, Harry and Meghan are locked in a number of legal battles with British publishers. The trial with Rupert Murdoch's News Group Newspapers, whom they are suing over phone hacking and illegally obtaining medical records, is expected to kick off in the coming weeks.
Contributing: Anna Kaufman, USA TODAY
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (66)
Related
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Judge clears way for Trump to appeal ruling keeping Fani Willis on Georgia 2020 election case
- Stock market today: Asian shares follow Wall St higher as markets await a rate decision by the Fed
- Best March Madness upset picks: Our predictions for NCAA tournament first-round stunners
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- AI-aided virtual conversations with WWII vets are latest feature at New Orleans museum
- 3,745-piece 'Dungeons & Dragons' Lego set designed by a fan debuts soon with $360 price tag
- 'Lady Gaga Jazz & Piano' returning for 8 summer dates in Las Vegas
- 'Most Whopper
- Here’s What You Should Wear to a Spring Wedding, Based on the Dress Code
Ranking
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Meagan Good Confirms Boyfriend Jonathan Majors Is The One
- Kansas' Kevin McCullar Jr. will miss March Madness due to injury
- Who is Mark Robinson? The GOP nominee for North Carolina governor has a history of inflammatory remarks
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Jimmie Allen Privately Welcomed Twins With Another Woman Amid Divorce From Wife Alexis Gale
- Here’s What You Should Wear to a Spring Wedding, Based on the Dress Code
- Blinken adds Israel stop to latest Mideast tour as tensions rise over Gaza war
Recommendation
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Rams QB Jimmy Garoppolo says he 'messed up' exemption leading to PED suspension
Alabama lawmakers approve absentee ballot, anti-diversity, equity and inclusion bills
'The Voice' coaches Chance the Rapper and John Legend battle over contestant Nadége
Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
Microsoft hires influential AI figure Mustafa Suleyman to head up consumer AI business
Meagan Good Confirms Boyfriend Jonathan Majors Is The One
Mega Millions winning numbers for March 19 drawing: Lottery jackpot soars to $977 million